Seaweed Soap Tutorial by Lisa Maliga
Lisa Maliga has been crafting soap since 1998. She’s the author of the e-book The Joy of Melt and Pour Soap Crafting. More information about soap, bath & body products and ingredients can be found at her blog.
Seaweed Soap is fun and easy to make. This recipe was created due to loving anything oceanic! Dried seaweed contains lots of minerals so it’s good for you. It can be found at any Asian market. Nourishing extra virgin olive oil is suitable for all skin types. Lavender and lemon essential oils add a touch of zest and make this soap smell clean and fresh!
- 32 ounces clear soap base
- Dash of green mica
- 6-8 pieces dried seaweed
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 teaspoons lemon essential oil
- 1 teaspoon lavender essential oil
- Double boiler OR two cooking vats. The larger one will be on the bottom and contain the water and of course the smaller one will be used to melt the soap.
- You can also use a saucepan and a glass measuring cup.
- Kitchen scale
- Cutting board
- Large knife
- Paring knife
- Wax paper
- Cling wrap
- Wooden spoon OR chopstick
- Alcohol in a spray mister
- Wavy edge soap cutter
- Mold: 3 part Ziploc divided rectangle mold
- Place broken up pieces of seaweed into mold.
- Slice the soap base into small cubes.
- Just before the soap is almost fully melted, add the green mica.
- Add extra virgin olive oil.
- Add essential oils. Make sure all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Pour slowly into molds.
- Spritz away bubbles with rubbing alcohol.
- Allow soap to harden in fridge, freezer, or remain at room temperature.
- Remove from molds and place on sheet of waxed paper.
- Make sure soap is at room temperature before cutting and wrapping.
- You may want to cut the largest chunk of finished soap into 2 to 4 slices. A wavy edge soap cutter is recommended.
- Wrap in cling wrap and label.
This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you’re reading it on someone else’s site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers. Five Filters recommends: Incinerating Assange – The Liberal Media Go To Work.